3 Mar 2022
If you like to be surrounded by fresh air, enjoy a sunset and observe the life of animals in the wild, then we are sure that nature photography is your thing.
Whether you are fully dedicated to nature photography or just a great hobby. Knowing how to wait for the right moment and capture the vastness and beauty of the environment in a single image is a unique task that only nature photographers are able to achieve.
“In nature photography you have to know how to capture movement, colours and vitality in the same instant”.
- What is nature photography?
- How to do nature photography?
- What are the types of nature photography?
- How can I sell landscape photography?
- 5 nature photographers to inspire you
- Nature photography: passion for the environment
- Arcadina goes with you
What is nature photography?
Nature photography is about capturing the beauty of a landscape with all its animate elements, such as plants and animals, and inanimate elements, such as a large rocky mountain.
You can also try capturing the landscape at different times of the day or year, playing with the different elements of the environment such as: waiting for the sunset, playing with the different moments of a heavy foggy day or capturing the right moment on a stormy night.
“In nature photography even the most ordinary moments can become surprising and unique images”.
How to do nature photography?
When organising a nature photography session, you have to take into account several aspects, for example:
- Timetable. Whether you are going to photograph a landscape or a certain species of animal, researching and knowing what time is the most suitable will be the starting point for organising your reportage.
- Time of year. As with the time of year, photographing a mountain covered with vegetation in spring is not the same as photographing a mountain covered with snow in winter, so nature photographers tend to be quite forward-thinking when planning their trips to the countryside.
- Know the habits of your models. If you are going to photograph animals in their natural habitat, you will need to know their habits beforehand so that you know where to look for them.
- Camouflage. When photographing certain animals, especially at medium distances, it is highly recommended that you go into the field wearing camouflage clothing to blend in with the surroundings and not scare off the herd.
- Lenses. Depending on whether you are going to photograph a large area or the flight of a dragonfly, the type of lens you use will be essential to capture the scene you want.
What are the types of nature photography?
Within nature photography you can find many types of sessions. Here are some of them:
- Flora photography: In this type of session the photographer will be in charge of immortalising nature more closely, such as the different species of flowers that come out in spring or the winter vegetation.
- Images of animals In their natural habitat: here you have to take into account the distance at which the shots can be taken and the behaviour of each species.
- Landscape photography reports: In these images, wider shots are sought to capture the beauty of a natural environment where the following will be integrated in the image: the flora of the place, part of its fauna and still life.
- Night or astronomical photography: If you want to photograph the stars or a stormy night, this will be your speciality.
- Underwater reports: Underwater photography is no easy task, but the results are truly amazing.
How can I sell landscape photography?
If you are one of the nature photographers who want to make a living from this great hobby, the best thing to do is to set up an online business, where you can not only show some of your images but also sell them to anyone.
When selling nature photography on your website, you can use different strategies to capture the attention of your customers.
An online shop open every day: thanks to the online shop, you can upload the photos of your latest trips to the countryside and have them for sale for anyone who wants to buy a fantastic landscape image. Thanks to this option you will be able to offer digital images for sale with download (for a fee) and printing in professional formats (Arcadina Labs). This way, when a visitor sees a photo he likes, he will be able to buy it instantly.
Client area for customised services: another line of business for nature photographers can be customised reports.
On your website you can explain how to hire your services, what they include and where you can travel to.
Afterwards, when the client has already hired you, you have made the report and you give them access to their private area to view their digital photos. It will be the moment to extend the budget by offering a series of extra products, such as: enlargements or prints that you can activate for free and easily from Arcadina Labs.
5 nature photographers to inspire you
Below we have created a small compilation of 5 nature photographers who make a living from their great hobby and who have entrusted their online business to Arcadina. We are sure you will love their photographs of landscapes and wildlife in its purest form.
1# Juan León: Panama
Juan León is a biologist and nature photographer living in Panama. Without a doubt an idyllic place to carry out landscape photography sessions. This nature photographer explains in his more personal section (about me) how he has always been attracted to “images that give off strong emotions“.
On his website, Juan has chosen the Sydney design to show his best images of wildlife and the most beautiful landscapes he has visited. On his website you will also see that he has both an online shop and a private client area to sell his photographs to anyone who wants to.
2# Francisco Ruano: Almeria
Francisco Ruano is a self-taught nature photographer who lives in Almería and who, as well as having a website with some spectacular landscape photographs, has also taken part in several exhibitions and has written several articles on the subject.
In the Infinite design galleries of his website with Sydney design you will be able to enjoy: landscapes with the sea as the protagonist, a gallery dedicated especially to the reef of the mermaids, images in the middle of nature and photographs of his latest trips. And the best thing is that most of these images are for sale in his online shop.
3# Sergi Roel Creus Fotografía: Girona
Sergi Roel Creus is a landscape photographer who, in addition to photographing the most beautiful natural spaces in his favourite spots in Girona, takes advantage of every year to take a trip and visit places where nature becomes a true work of art.
On Sergi’s website with Tokyo design, you will be able to enjoy these amazing landscapes and his other photo shoots (urban, sport, wildlife, culture, social and product photography).
4# Felipe Castro Fotopatrimonio: Lugo
Felipe Castro is an enthusiastic amateur landscape and landscape photographer who currently lives in Monforte de Lemos (Lugo). And as he himself comments on his website: “Maybe I practice photography because I have nothing better to do, but I don’t enjoy it by chance“.
In the extensive galleries of his Tokyo-designed website, you will be able to enjoy what he defines as photoheritage, a detailed portfolio with photographs of: forests, aquatic ecosystems, trees, flowers, landscapes and all kinds of cultural heritage photographs.
5# Joseba Hernando Fotografía: Vitoria
In Joseba Hernando‘s NewYork design website you will be able to enjoy a gallery of nature images that will not leave you indifferent: natural landscapes, minimalism in natural, macro and textures and details are the galleries that Joseba shows in his website.
Undoubtedly, this photographer from Vitoria knows how to capture the right moment where the landscape or the smallest insect creates a unique scene. And as he says on his website “I love the music of nature“.
Nature photography: passion for the environment
As you can see, nature photography is exciting, patient and above all, very rewarding. If you like to schedule trips to the countryside with your camera under your arm, patiently waiting for the right moment to capture a beautiful sunset or a flock of birds. Now you can also make a living from landscape photography by selling your photographs.
Today we want to share with you the testimony of a great nature photographer, Efren Valiente.
And as always, to say goodbye, here’s today’s question: What type of nature photography do you most identify with? We’d love to hear your answer in the comments.
Arcadina goes with you
Fulfil your dreams and develop your professional career with us. We offer you to create a photography website for free for 14 days so that you can try our platform without any commitment of permanence.
Arcadina is much more than a website, it is business solutions for photographers.
If you have any queries, our Customer Service Team is always ready to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We listen to you.